The latest on COVID-19
Black Hawk County's testing positivity rate - meaning the percentage of tests taken that are positive - is 41.8% on January 19, 2022.
Latest visiting guidelines
At this point in time, with the high spread of COVID-19 in the greater community, we request that visits to residents of Martin Suites, Deery Suites and The Cottages be postponed if possible. Or we ask that you use one of our specially designed visitation rooms to protect the health of our residents and their visitors.
**Indoor visits create a risk of contracting COVID-19 for both the resident and the visitor. Please be aware of this risk when you choose to visit.**
Please do not visit your friends or family at Western Home Communities if you have:
- tested positive for COVID-19
- a confirmed recent exposure to someone who is positive for COVID-19
- one (or more) symptom(s) of COVID-19
Symptoms include: fever, cough, runny nose, congestion, sore throat, fatigue, muscle aches,shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, loss of smell or taste, chills, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Current cases of COVID-19
At Martin Suites, 100% of residents have been vaccinated and boosted; 85% of employees are fully vaccinated. From Jan. 4-9, 2022, 15 residents of Martin Suites tested positive for COVID-19, as well as several employees. We are thankful to report that those cases have been mild with minor or no symptoms.
We must go 28 days without a positive test to be considered out of outbreak status; at this point, however, only two of those 15 residents remain in isolation for COVID-19 (on 1-19-22).
This page of current cases will be updated daily by 5 p.m.
New positive test results on January 19, 2022:
- Martin Suites: One positive resident from PCR test on Jan. 17; all other residents tested negative on those PCR tests and on rapid tests Jan. 18.
- Windhaven assisted living: One positive resident from regular testing on Jan. 18; one positive employee.
- Windhaven and Thalman Square: One positive employee who took a rapid test after developing symptoms; most recently worked in both buildings Jan. 18.
- Independent living: One asymptomatic employee on regular rapid testing; had recently been in Willowwood, Windridge and Windcove.
New positive test results on January 18, 2022:
- Independent living: One resident of Windgrace who developed symptoms while traveling; has been isolating since returning home.
- Thuesen Cottage: One employee who most recently worked Jan. 17 before developing symptoms and took a rapid test.
New positive test results on January 17, 2022:
- Martin Suites: One employee who most recently worked Jan. 13 tested positive on a rapid test after developing a cough, congestion and chills.
- Independent living: One dining employee who delivered meals to third floor of Prairie Wind on 1-16-22 tested positive on a rapid test after developing symptoms.
- Villas and townhomes: Three residents have tested positive after developing symptoms.
New positive test results on January 16, 2022:
- Deery Suites: One positive employee who most recently worked on third floor Jan. 14, developed symptoms and took a rapid test (reporting of this case was delayed).
New positive test results on January 15, 2022:
- Martin Suites: One employee positive on a rapid test after developing symptoms of a cough, headache, congestion, sneezing and fatigue.
New positive test results on January 14, 2022:
- Deery Suites: One agency employee positive on a rapid test this morning after developing symptoms; worked Jan 13-14 at Nation & Thuesen Cottages.
- Martin Suites: Same agency employee (above) most recently worked at Martin Suites on 1-10-22.
- Windhaven Assisted Living and Thalman Square Memory Support: One employee reported a positive PCR result from a test taken 1-7-22.
- Independent living: One employee positive on a rapid test; worked at Windridge, Windcove and WIndermere during past two days.
New positive test results on January 13, 2022:
- Deery Suites: No new employee or resident positives from165 PCR tests administered 1-10-22; all results are back.
- Martin Suites: One employee with symptoms (sore throat, dry cough, nausea) tested positive on rapid test.
- Windhaven Assisted Living and Thalman Square Memory Support: One employee tested positive on a rapid test, although asymptomatic.
- Independent living: No positives from rapid tests administered 1-12-22.
- South campus: Two maintenance employee positives from PCR tests on 1-10-22.
New positive test results on January 12, 2022:
- Deery Suites: No new positives among the 40 results from PCR tests sent to the lab on 1-10-22; still awaiting another 125 results for residents and employees.
- Martin Suites: Two employees and zero residents with positive results today; one employee test was a rapid result, the other was from a PCR test on 1-10-22; all but 10 resident PCR tests from 1-10-22 have been returned and all those returned are negative.
- Windhaven Assisted Living and Thalman Square Memory Support: No new positive results.
- Independent living: No current resident positives; awaiting results from employee tests this afternoon.
New positive test results on January 11, 2022:
- Deery Suites: Two employees, both of whom most recently worked Jan. 6 - one on all three floors, the other on second and third floors only.
- Martin Suites: No new positive results among residents or employees.
- Thalman Square Memory Support: One employee who most recently worked Jan. 7; symptoms of congestion, fatigue, cough.
- Windhaven Assisted Living: One employee positive from a PCR test administered Jan. 6.